The Staffordshire Regiment Museum tells the story of the Staffordshire Regiment and all its antecedents from its formation in Lichfield in 1705. The Museum is situated alongside Whittington Barracks near Lichfield, the historical home of the Regiment, and houses a collection of around 11,000 items. The collection now includes items from the new Mercian Regiment.
The Staffordshire Regiment (Prince of Wales') or simply The Staffords was an infantry regiment of the British Army and part of the Prince of Wales' Division. The regiment was formed in 1959 by the amalgamation of The South Staffordshire Regiment and The North Staffordshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's).
The Stafford's can trace their history back to 1705 when a regiment known as the 38th Foot was raised at Lichfield by Colonel Luke Lillingstone.
As part of the reorganisation of the infantry it was announced in 2004, that the Staffordshire Regiment would merge with the Cheshire Regiment and the Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment into a new three-battalion regiment to be called the Mercian Regiment.
On 1 September 2007 the Staffordshire Regiment became the 3rd Battalion, Mercian Regiment (Stafford's) and will operate permanently in the armoured infantry role. Initially based at Tidworth, the battalion moved to Bad Fallingbostel, Germanyin August 2009, as part of 7th Armoured Brigade (The Desert Rats). Yet again further changes have been made to the regiment with the 3rd Battalion being merged into the 1st & 2nd Battalions and the reserve Battalion remaing as the 4th Battalion.
The Staffordshire Regiment Museum